Monday, June 21, 2010

Erykah Badu Concert

Some names has a ring/flow to it: like Barack Obama and Erykah Badu. I do not have any of Erykah Badu's CD's or DVD's. I don't even now how many CD's she's release. This is not a good thing when you are at a live concert because you find yourself being the last one standing on a hit song. That happen to me last night at her concert. My previous experience of her has been limited to her appearances at events like the Million Man March or for some national disaster fund relief concert. I was broadsided to discovered that she is very "raw", and that's a mild adjective. She gave an excellent concert-quite entertaining. I love her sound and music. Not on board with much of the lyrics though. i.e. "I use to pray but I don't anymore cause I got much love. She's in to that god new age philosophy.


The cool evening was perfect while sitting under the stars at the Greek Theater in the hills of Los Angeles. A friend living in Fresno couldn't make the concert so the ticket was given to me free. Good seats in the B section.

The two opening acts were artist I hadn't heard of. Janelle Monae and Lupe Fiasco. Both had incredible energy that it tend to tire the mature audience out, but they had many fans appreciating them by their cheers. Janellle Monae is known as the James Brown of the day. It appeared that many came to hear them because they were somewhat calm on Erykah.

My wow moment was from none of the names on the billboard. Between the opening acts and Erykah, a DJ came on the stage and start playing clips of hot songs old&new. The energy level of the crowd was thunderous---everyone was on their feet and a party was going on. It was the most amazing thing I've experience at a concert. The place sits 5,000 and it was almost a sold out crowd and just about everyone were singing along with the songs that were played. Of course none of the songs were gospel tunes, so I wasn't able to bellow out any of the words but the spirit of happiness and joy and clapping of hands I was happy to contribute. I actually enjoyed that 10-15 min set out of the entire evening. Crazy uh? Don't tell the artist.

The DJ set, made the atmosphere ripe for Badu's tardy entrance. One thing I appreciate and walked away reflecting about Badu is that she's a real sista. Refreshing change from fake smiling in your face artist and some people in this world.

Sing on Erykah Badu with your bad self



No comments:

Post a Comment