Friday, December 25, 2009

Priceless Christmas Gift Parker Style










The Christmas gift (according to my parents as I spoke to them this morning) was given a week early. My three siblings from Virginia, Alabama & Tennessee and I traveled (12/18/09) to Atlanta to surprised my parents for their 85th Birthdays. The photos attached captures the end of the story: they were totally shocked!!!

It's been over a year since all siblings were in ATL at the same time. On that Saturday morning, we waited until parents left for church before entering their house to set up for the birthday dinner and then dressed for church. We arrived at the church and remained in the parking lot until the service started. After the service started we waited in a back room. They welcomed the visitors and then the church sung Happy Birthday to my parents. Two presentations were given and then my father gave his thank you remarks. Before he sat down, they announced that they had another presentation and it was at that point, my siblings and families walked out from the back room to greet our parents. The audience exploded and my parents were in a happy surreal daze but excited state.

We've surprised them at least three times over the decades, but mother told me this morning that this one was the most unexpected. This one was also the closest to Christmas Day, thus, the priceless Christmas gift: the presence of all of their children. (one photo has three of their youngest grandchildren). The weekend was filled with good food (catered, so mother wouldn't trip about not having enough food), plenty of laughter and sharing. The weekend flew by quickly. I was in town less than 48 hours. But would do it again for it was truly worth it.

For all of you who are reading this, Merry Christmas and if you don't get one gift, but have at least one person you love or love you, cherish that!!! It's worth more than any gift you can receive. Loving family and/or friends is priceless. And that's real talk.

Loving you,

W I L L I E

PS: My father is a retired minister who was the speaker for that day. Special thanks to Steve Ruff and his wife Diane, Senior Pastor of the New Jerusalem Praise and Worship Center SDA Church, who without them, we could not have pulled it off so smoothly. Special thanks to family friend Jackie Smallwood and Mary Smith who catered the food that tasted so delicious that you wanted to "slap somebody".






















If you click on any photo, you can make it larger.

1 comment:

  1. What a good looking family! Thanks for sharing the fun and the love.
    Merry Christmas--Don Goodbrad

    ReplyDelete